Skip to main content

New Look 6212 - Progress so far!

The shirt is coming along nicely - so far it's been easier than I expected.   I had already cut the pieces out and overlocked the  seam edges that would be exposed. I don't have an overlocker (it is on my want list) but I used my mum's so that I wouldn't have to worry about finishing the seams.  I transferred the pattern marking using tailor tacks also.  I need to investigate using dressmaker's carbon paper to see how I like this method.

So this is what I have done so far:

New Look 6212 - front view - progress so far
Front view

New Look 6212 - back view - progress so far
Back view
I had a tricky moment when it came to following the instructions to make the yoke but it all came good in the end! It involved sandwiching the back between the yoke and the yoke facing, stitching a seam through all the thicknesses, machine basting the shoulders and then rolling the top up and pinning then stitching the shoulder edges together and finally pulling the rolled top out through the armhole. Sounds confusing eh! I should have taken pictures to explain it but I was too busy trying to make sense of the instructions!

New Look 6212 - yoke - inside view
That fiddly yoke - inside view
New Look 6212 - yoke - back view
Yoke - back view
Skills needed so far:

Stay-stitching
Sewing seams
Layering seams
Applying a yoke using a professional no hand-sewing method
Machine basting
Making a narrow hem

Tomorrow's job will be to make the plackets, the neckband, collar and maybe the button holes! Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Look 6483.... in less than a week

My last post was a round up of my favourite simple sewing patterns in my stash. I've finished my first make, New Look 6483! And it look me less than a week! I spent a bit of time adjusting the pattern last weekend, and then it probably took two evenings of sewing plus a little bit of of  extra time hand sewing. Not bad for me!


The pattern came free with Sew Magazine this month. It comes with 5 different options. I chose view E with the wider neckline as I felt this was the most flattering.  The suggested fabrics are ginghams, laundered cottons (which is just cotton that has been washed to remove the stiffness caused by the sizing), silks, silk types, rayons etc. So fabric with a bit of drape is required.


The top does not have a zip and is fasten with a simple thread loop and button.  There is an all in one facing for the neck and armholes. The pattern is rated "easy" and claims to take one hour to sew! (not including cutting out time etc).


However, my major rookie mistak…

The Washi Dress

What a lovely sunny day and as promised, here is my latest make, the Washi dress by Made by Rae.

I coerced my daughter into taking the photos. As you can see,my cat was keen to get into the photos.


I made this using some cotton that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Olympia, that I posted about here. The fabric came from Simply Fabrics and was very reasonably priced, about £5 a metre if I remember rightly.


The Washi dress is a simple make, and perfect for beginner dressmakers.

I fell in love with it after seeing it on pinterest. It features a cut-out scoop neckline, although I decided to omit this as I felt it might be a bit low cut for everyday life.  It features a pleated front and a shirred back. It also has built in pockets.  It can be made with or without sleeves and also can be adapted as a tunic or maxi dress. It's a fairly expensive pattern to download at $16 dollars (roughly £10) but I figured this would be a dress that I could make again and again.

 There is…

The Strawberry New Look 6262

This is my latest dress and I'm so pleased with it! The pattern is New Look 6262 which I first made last summer. The fabric is from the market stall in St Albans, a bargain at £6 a metre. I noticed the market man had the same fabric in white yesterday, maybe I should get some more?


The front bodice has side and waist darts, and the back bodice has waist darts. The skirt is gathered and attached at the waist and an invisible zip is inserted.  

There are also options for cap sleeves, short sleeves and a v-neck.  The dress can also be made with a lace overlay so it's a pretty versatile and simple pattern to have in  your stash.


I made a size 14 as with my previous version  but this time I made some fitting adjustments after making a muslin of the bodice.  I am totally converted to making muslins now as I think you get such a better fit.  I also think it is worth investing in a book about fitting.  I am currently using "Dressmaking to flatter your shape" by Lorna Knight …