Skip to main content

Back to blogging!

Well summer is over and I thought it was about time I got blogging again! Not sure where July and August went.  Unfortunately, I didn't get much chance to do any sewing, hence the fact I haven't updated the blog. I hardly had time to make any of the patterns I posted about here.

I may have had a busy summer but I did get a couple of weeks off work and spent a lovely week in Norfolk at the seaside.

I also visited two lovely knitting shops while I was there: Wool and Crafts in Cromer and Creative Crafts in Sheringham.

I spent much of the last week of summer sorting out my daughter for secondary school. Off she went on Tuesday, all grown up now!

So now September is here, I thought I had better get on with finishing with some of the sewing and stitching that I've started.

This is what I've got unfinished:

Pink polka dot Tilly and the Button's Mimi blouse from Love at First Stitch.

Got as far as setting in one sleeve. I think this will be lovely but the material I am using seemed to make constructing this blouse really difficult. I really lost my way with this one but will finish it! I actually think it's quite a difficult blouse for a beginner to tackle.

A pair of socks

One sock knitted. The other is on the needles.

I'm knitting a pair of ribbed socks from one of my books, Favorite Socks by Ann Budd, in a lovely blue self patterning yarn by Regia.

I have been eyeing up these sock blockers, wondering if they make a difference to the finished socks!

I do love knitting socks, they are a great project to have on go when you don't feel like doing anything too complicated or time consuming. I can see some more socks being knitted once these are done.

Sirdar 9410

I've been making a cable and bobble short sleeved cardigan in a double knitting yarn.

I used the same colour yarn as the pattern as I think its's a lovely shade of green. It's called Spruce. Perfect for Autumn. The cardigan is all knitted up. Just the dreaded sewing up to do. Need to take my time over this!

So all in all plenty to be getting on with. Then time to think about what I fancy making next! What have you got lined up for Autumn?

Happy stitching x


Popular posts from this blog

New Look 6483.... in less than a week

My last post was a round up of my favourite simple sewing patterns in my stash. I've finished my first make, New Look 6483! And it look me less than a week! I spent a bit of time adjusting the pattern last weekend, and then it probably took two evenings of sewing plus a little bit of of  extra time hand sewing. Not bad for me!

The pattern came free with Sew Magazine this month. It comes with 5 different options. I chose view E with the wider neckline as I felt this was the most flattering.  The suggested fabrics are ginghams, laundered cottons (which is just cotton that has been washed to remove the stiffness caused by the sizing), silks, silk types, rayons etc. So fabric with a bit of drape is required.

The top does not have a zip and is fasten with a simple thread loop and button.  There is an all in one facing for the neck and armholes. The pattern is rated "easy" and claims to take one hour to sew! (not including cutting out time etc).

However, my major rookie mistak…

The Washi Dress

What a lovely sunny day and as promised, here is my latest make, the Washi dress by Made by Rae.

I coerced my daughter into taking the photos. As you can see,my cat was keen to get into the photos.

I made this using some cotton that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Olympia, that I posted about here. The fabric came from Simply Fabrics and was very reasonably priced, about £5 a metre if I remember rightly.

The Washi dress is a simple make, and perfect for beginner dressmakers.

I fell in love with it after seeing it on pinterest. It features a cut-out scoop neckline, although I decided to omit this as I felt it might be a bit low cut for everyday life.  It features a pleated front and a shirred back. It also has built in pockets.  It can be made with or without sleeves and also can be adapted as a tunic or maxi dress. It's a fairly expensive pattern to download at $16 dollars (roughly £10) but I figured this would be a dress that I could make again and again.

 There is…

The Strawberry New Look 6262

This is my latest dress and I'm so pleased with it! The pattern is New Look 6262 which I first made last summer. The fabric is from the market stall in St Albans, a bargain at £6 a metre. I noticed the market man had the same fabric in white yesterday, maybe I should get some more?

The front bodice has side and waist darts, and the back bodice has waist darts. The skirt is gathered and attached at the waist and an invisible zip is inserted.  

There are also options for cap sleeves, short sleeves and a v-neck.  The dress can also be made with a lace overlay so it's a pretty versatile and simple pattern to have in  your stash.

I made a size 14 as with my previous version  but this time I made some fitting adjustments after making a muslin of the bodice.  I am totally converted to making muslins now as I think you get such a better fit.  I also think it is worth investing in a book about fitting.  I am currently using "Dressmaking to flatter your shape" by Lorna Knight …