Skip to main content

My First Vintage Pattern - Simplicity 6655


Having pledged to join in with the vintage sewing pattern pledge this year, I've decided on my first make of 2015!

The pattern I will be making is a Simplicity pattern from 1966. It's a How to Sew" pattern and having perused the instructions at length, it seems no more complicated than anything else I've sewn. In fact I'd say the instructions seem clearer than some modern Simplicity patterns I've tackled!

The dress is in two main pieces with a U-shaped neck, back zipper and Version 1 has belt loops and Version 2 has flaps.  It has armhole and neck facings and comes in two lengths. Version 3 has buttons and a lace neck trimming.


The jumper/ dress comes in three views and I have decided on view 2 with the flaps.  There is also a pattern for a kimono sleeve blouse that I may be tempted to make at a later date.


I wanted something that I could make in needlecord and I will be using some navy blue from my stash. I thought this sleeveless dress would be perfect for this time of year over a long sleeved top.

I traced my pattern pieces as I didn't want to spoil the pattern as the pieces were in pristine condition. It's hard to imagine that the pattern is nearly fifty years old! I've cut the material out tonight and I'm hoping to get on with sewing it this weekend.

I intend to follow the instructions as closely as possible so that means forgoing an invisible zip but I'm pretty sure I will use my overlocker for finishing some of the seams.

Can't wait to get stitching on this one!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Look 6483.... in less than a week

My last post was a round up of my favourite simple sewing patterns in my stash. I've finished my first make, New Look 6483! And it look me less than a week! I spent a bit of time adjusting the pattern last weekend, and then it probably took two evenings of sewing plus a little bit of of  extra time hand sewing. Not bad for me!


The pattern came free with Sew Magazine this month. It comes with 5 different options. I chose view E with the wider neckline as I felt this was the most flattering.  The suggested fabrics are ginghams, laundered cottons (which is just cotton that has been washed to remove the stiffness caused by the sizing), silks, silk types, rayons etc. So fabric with a bit of drape is required.


The top does not have a zip and is fasten with a simple thread loop and button.  There is an all in one facing for the neck and armholes. The pattern is rated "easy" and claims to take one hour to sew! (not including cutting out time etc).


However, my major rookie mistak…

The Washi Dress

What a lovely sunny day and as promised, here is my latest make, the Washi dress by Made by Rae.

I coerced my daughter into taking the photos. As you can see,my cat was keen to get into the photos.


I made this using some cotton that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Olympia, that I posted about here. The fabric came from Simply Fabrics and was very reasonably priced, about £5 a metre if I remember rightly.


The Washi dress is a simple make, and perfect for beginner dressmakers.

I fell in love with it after seeing it on pinterest. It features a cut-out scoop neckline, although I decided to omit this as I felt it might be a bit low cut for everyday life.  It features a pleated front and a shirred back. It also has built in pockets.  It can be made with or without sleeves and also can be adapted as a tunic or maxi dress. It's a fairly expensive pattern to download at $16 dollars (roughly £10) but I figured this would be a dress that I could make again and again.

 There is…

The Strawberry New Look 6262

This is my latest dress and I'm so pleased with it! The pattern is New Look 6262 which I first made last summer. The fabric is from the market stall in St Albans, a bargain at £6 a metre. I noticed the market man had the same fabric in white yesterday, maybe I should get some more?


The front bodice has side and waist darts, and the back bodice has waist darts. The skirt is gathered and attached at the waist and an invisible zip is inserted.  

There are also options for cap sleeves, short sleeves and a v-neck.  The dress can also be made with a lace overlay so it's a pretty versatile and simple pattern to have in  your stash.


I made a size 14 as with my previous version  but this time I made some fitting adjustments after making a muslin of the bodice.  I am totally converted to making muslins now as I think you get such a better fit.  I also think it is worth investing in a book about fitting.  I am currently using "Dressmaking to flatter your shape" by Lorna Knight …