Saturday 7 March 2015

A day out....The Knitting and Stitching Show, London Olympia

I took the day off work on Thursday and went to the Knitting and Stitching Show at Olympia in London. Although not such a big show as October's Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace, it's still a great day out. I went with my mum, armed with refreshments and a large bag!


There were a lot of fabric retailers there, mostly selling affordable fabrics.  It's the first time I've added to my stash this year as I am trying to be good, and use up some of my existing fabric.


I bought this from Simply Fabrics who are a retailer based in Brixton.  I think this will make up a nice summer dress. They had a selection of excellent priced fabrics and I think their shop must be worth a visit if you live in South London.

These fabrics I think came from Fabrics Galore, another South London fabric retailer. I think I need to move!


I'm thinking of this as a short sleeved blouse....


...and this as a skirt or maybe dress.

My final fabric was from Fabric Time who are based in Kingston upon Thames.  I bought this adorable polka dot and rose print.


This is going to definitely become a summer dress.

One of the busiest stalls was the McCalls pattern company. All their patterns were on offer for £4.50 or £12 for three. How could I resist!

I bought this "Patterns by Gertie" pattern to make up for my daughter: Butterick B5895. I think she will look cute in this. However, I don't think its a design for anyone but the skinny!

Loose-fitting top has front extending into collar and tie ends, and narrow hem on sleeves/back hemline.




I also picked up two dress patterns... Butterick B5982....


 Dress has close-fitting, lined bodice, side front seams, pleated and gathered skirt, back zipper, and belt with bow, knot and Velcro® closing. A/B, C D cup sizes.


....and Butterick 4443.

 Dress: close-fitting bodice and slightly flared skirt has bodice variations, back zipper and is below mid-knee length. B: contrast band, tie belt and purchased flower. C: tie belt. D: purchased ribbon and bow trim. E: purchased ribbon bow


I've not sewn any Butterick patterns before so I will be interested to see how they fit. I'm also a planning on losing a few pounds that have crept over the last year or so before I start on these. I have set myself a goal of losing a stone, so I will let you know how I get on!

On the knitting front, I bought 5 balls of this lovely aran weight yarn from Neil the knit.


It's called Aztec Aran and it's made by James C Brett which is not a company I've come across before. It's 10 percent alpaca so has a nice fluffy feel to it and it knits up nicely. I am going to make the tunic version on this pattern...


...and have already started.


I also bought some of this patterned yarn from the same stall. It's a self striping yarn and I am planning on knitting a simple round neck sweater with this to show off the pattern. 


Maybe this pattern...


Plenty to be getting on with...

Catherine x

2 comments:

  1. Ooo i really fancied going to this - maybe October instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great day out. I like both shows, think maybe the October show is slightly better anyway!

      Delete

I'd really love to hear from you. If you liked this blog post, please leave me a little comment!

Popular Posts